Sunday, October 9, 2011

Coming Down

(Between full length albums, 5 page articles and double sized comments I realize our posts have been quite large as of late. I'm gonna scale it back for this one to stagger up our pace)
    
     There are times when you come across a song that just stops you in your tracks. One minute you are listening to music just to stave off boredom or sleep or responsibility and the next you are plunged head deep into a segment of music that embraces you so wholly you begin to see the outside world with all of its troubles and cares blot out of existence.

     Were it not for the 6:28 time stamp on The Dum Dum Girl's "Coming Down" I doubt I would ever bother to free myself from that embrace. Perhaps it is due to my negative mood as of late or a general musical starvation I have been feeling but this track has slain me. It is simultaneously forlorn and yet utterly hopeful. The atmosphere and lyrics of the song speak to some kind of sadness but in the whine of the guitars and the croon of the lead singer I can't help but perceive a relieving acceptance through out the whole thing. It is one thing for a band to embody a sadness that anyone can feel but on this track the Dum Dum Girls have captured that feeling of a weight being lifted from your chest not when you find an answer to your problems but when you breathe out and accept what is happening to you and the fact that maybe there is no "answer" In any event lemme know what you think.










Coming Down - The Dum Dum Girls

1 comment:

  1. Sorry it's taken me a little while to post.

    I loved this song, partly because I really like the lead vocalist's voice. It's kind of odd, but until about a year ago if you scrolled through my itunes you would find practically no female artists (the exception being the Evita soundtrack, which I find kind of humorous).

    I liked what you said about a "feeling of a weight being lifted from your chest not when you find an answer to your problems but when you breathe out and accept what is happening to you and the fact that maybe there is no 'answer'". I saw it in a similar way. I liked the way the song balanced a sense of sadness with an attitude of unconcern. Sometimes you reach a point where you stop worrying about reactions and just let people know what you're doing and let them deal with it. The song captures that.

    ReplyDelete